Members of the council and loyal supporters of our charities blanketed the town store fronts for our annual Tootsie Roll drive to benefit People with Intellectual Difficulties. Our Tootsie Roll Mob Boss, Pete Klecan, with his two henchmen Gene Bryant and Bill Silvestri, unleashed his Tootsie minions onto unsuspecting shoppers in Salem. They made the folks an offer they couldn't refuse. “Hey, kid, your mom gonna let you have a Tootsie Roll?”
From Wednesday, May 31 at the town transfer station, thru Sunday, June 4 at town stores, over 112 people spent 490 hours passing out free Tootsie Rolls to one and all. Our patrons rewarded our efforts with a heist of over $14,000 in donations, a new high mark for the council. A hearty “Well Done” to the many “special” people who came out to work with their families; we had more helpers than Knights! And of course thanks to the bosses of this campaign, Pete Klecan, Gene Bryant, and Bill Silvestri, who spent hours before the actual event making sure of our success.
June 2015 Tootsie Roll Campaign
Final Report - Gene Bryant
Brothers, Family and Friends
Thank you all for the tremendous time and effort that so many people put into our most successful Tootsie Roll Drive ever! Once again we had all the right stores, a huge turnout of help, and great June weather! All this effort, and all this money, is for the community that supports intellectually disabled kids and adults – All this money stays in New Hampshire, and most goes to groups in the Salem area.
Here are the stats:
* More than 110 people worked over 100 shifts at 12 stores to raise $12,943.73, our official gross total.
* The Council covered our food expenses and rounded the amount to be sent to the State Council to $13,000!
* Many people worked more than one shift, and the amazing Bill Silvestri worked all weekend to raise over $1000 on his own!
* We shake our head in amazement at the effort of "Ski" and Kim Loughlin who collected over $1000 in five shifts!
* Our friends at Play Among the Stars worked over 30 shifts -- and will benefit with a substantial share of the proceeds.
* We want to thank Cub Scout Pack 4442, sponsored by our Council, for their participation -- they looked great in their uniforms
Here is a list of the groups that share in the distribution of this money
* NH Special Olympics
* Salem Blue Devils Special Olympics
* Play Among the Stars theater group
* Camp Fatima (supported by the State KofC for decades) --
* Community Crossroads/Region 10
* Kimi Nichols Center
All great and worthy causes!
Thank you so much to the "accounting crew" that gives up their weekend for this event; Jan and Alan Phair, Paul St Amand, and Ken and Peg Akerley
And a round of applause for the new Tootsie Roll Chairman, Peter Klecan, who dived into this project with a great effort and good humor. I certify he is now well-trained and ready for the challenge of the 2016 Tootsie Roll Drive. For accepting that role he has my gratitude and best wishes
Mark your calendars for the weekend of June 3-4-5, 2016 now, you don't want to miss the fun
Thanks again to all who helped make this such a good time, and so successful. This is the most visible activity for our Council in this community, and one of the most worthy projects I have ever been associated with. I will always be grateful for the opportunity I had to participate in this effort over all these years.